Bucatini with Tinned Sardines and Tomato Sauce
A delicious pasta dish, easy and quick to prepare - perfect for a weeknight dinner as you could easily have these ingredients to hand in your pantry. The sardines elevate this from something ordinary to something really special. We recommend using good quality sardines in olive oil, it will make all the difference.
Prep Time: 7 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
½ medium yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
½ teaspoon lemon zest
8 ounces dry bucatini pasta
2 (120-gram) tins of sardines in olive oil
Black pepper, to taste
¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil.
2. Heat olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Sauté the onion for 2-3 minutes or until softened and fragrant.
3. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook while stirring for 30 seconds.
4. Pour in the crushed tomatoes followed by one-third cup of water. Stir in the sugar and lemon zest.
5. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until thickened. Stir occasionally.
6. Add the bucatini to the boiling water when the sauce is almost ready – cook for 10 minutes or until al dente.
7. Add the tinned sardines to the sauce during the last 5 minutes of cook time to heat through. Season the sauce to taste with black pepper.
8. Drain the pasta but reserve a bit of the starchy pasta water. Add the pasta to the sauce and toss –pour in the reserved pasta water as needed to help the sauce cling to the pasta.
9. Plate, garnish with fresh parsley and serve.