Simple Lemony Caper Mackerel Salad
Meet this simple mackerel salad, similar to a Nicoise salad with green beans, new potatoes and hard boiled eggs. We love using the Patagonia Provisions Lemon Caper Mackerel in Olive Oil in this dish as the fish is preserved in a delicious marinade that nicely compliments this dish. All you need to do is tip the tin over, as the seasoning is at the bottom, and use it to dress your salad along with some lemon.
2 boiled eggs, peeled and quartered lengthwise
1 can of lemon caper mackerel in olive oil
8-10 new potatoes
A handful of green beans, trimmed
1/2 head of boston lettuce, torn into pieces
Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
Radishes, sliced thinly
1/2 a lemon
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (only if extra is required)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the potatoes in a pot of water and bring to boil. Cook for about 10-12 minutes or until the potatoes are tender, then drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, bring another pot to boil and cook green beans for 3 to 5 minutes until they are still firm. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop them cooking. Set aside.
3. Wash and dry lettuce and arrange on a serving platter. Follow with the tomatoes, radish slices, boiled eggs, green beans and potatoes.
4. Open the can of mackerel and turn it over into the centre of the plate, drizzling any remaining lemon caper marinade over the rest of the dish.
5. Finish with an additional drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon and some salt and pepper for taste.